Medica and Diversity
- Medica's Diversity Vision — To live in our work as we live in our communities, with deep respect and affection, trust and integrity, a passion for equality, compassion and honoring each other's humanity. We will do this in a way that welcomes us all through the doors, keeps us in comfort and inspires us to improve the health of communities.
- Medica has an overall commitment to act lawfully, ethically and with integrity in all of our activities, and to treat our employees and members/constituents we serve with the utmost respect, dignity and courtesy.
- Diversity is also one of Medica's top 5 values: Our people are our greatest asset. We are committed to a workforce that reflects the strength and character of the customers and communities we serve. We promote a spirit of openness, discovery and learning in order to live our mission and achieve our vision.
- Diversity and Inclusion — The goal of our Diversity and Inclusion efforts is to foster an inclusive work environment that reflects the strength and character of the customers and communities we serve. A diverse and inclusive work environment exists when employees are engaged in a manner that respects individual similarities and differences, and ensures that employees feel they and their work are valued and recognized as contributing to the mission of our organization.
- Cultural Competency training for our employees and vendors.
- Respectful Workplace training — to provide awareness of pertinent policies and build communication that foster respectful, appropriate employee interaction.
- Affirmative Action Plan — Medica is committed to continuing to build relationships with various community organizations to increase the diversity of our employee population.
External Initiatives — How Medica Helps our Diverse Communities
- Member Input Forums — Forums are held in multicultural communities to learn how Medica can better serve our diverse communities.
- Outreach in Hennepin County — Provides multi-lingual videos on how to navigate Minnesota's health care system with emphasis on well-child and teen checkups for families on Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare.
- Cultural Competency Training for Providers — Medica participates in a statewide initiative to educate healthcare providers on special and cultural needs and preferences for our diverse communities.
- Metro Action Group — Medica participates in this group that aims to improve the health of metro area children/teens who are eligible for Child and Teen Checkup Program via Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare.
- Center for Healthy Aging "Silver Sneakers" — A free fitness program offered to our Medica Senior members over the age of 65.
- Health Fairs
- MATCH - (Mothers Advocating Their Children's Health) — Medica participates in a program to encourage well child care by working through faith communities.
- University of Minnesota School of Dentistry — Medica is working with the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry to provide 2,000 dental encounters to Medica members in under served areas.
- Cover All Kids — Medica participates in a national health care initiative to help low-income, uninsured children get health insurance.
- CHOICES project — Medica and United Behavioral Health (our mental health/substance abuse provider) provides Medicaid members with culturally sensitive paraprofessional case managers to help ensure that they are addressing mental health and substance abuse conditions.
- Cultural Competency in Health Care — As a member of the American Association of Health Plans, Medica is participating with other health plans on how to identify and address disparities in healthcare treatment and outcomes for racial and ethnic minorities.
- Access to Culturally and Linguistically Competent Providers — Medica has created a Cultural Competence Plan to improve the representation of culturally and linguistically diverse health care providers for our members. Medica recognizes the need to provide health care services across cultures that acknowledge and address how culture influences one's health, beliefs, practices and outcomes.